All employees of the Region who are employed in CUPE 1883 positions are considered members for purposes of being protected by the Collective Agreement.
However, a member of the Local Union shall be considered in good standing if:
- They have properly applied and been accepted as members; and
- They have taken the Oath of Obligation; and
- They have not engaged in activities contrary to the Oath of Obligation or to the
Constitution and By-Laws and policies of the National Union; and
- They are employed and paying Union dues.
Members in good standing enjoy certain entitlements voted on and provided by the Local Union:
- You can apply to take courses /educational opportunities offered by the Union with all costs covered
- You can be considered as a delegate to conventions, as a representative to attend conferences or other events
- You can be on Union committees
There is a distinction between being a dues-paying member and being a member in good standing.
Everyone under the scope of CUPE Local 1883’s Collective Agreement is a dues-paying member. Dues are collected off each paycheck. This allows members access to the grievance process, all your rights within the Collective Agreement, and the right to vote in strike and ratification votes.
Member in Good Standing (MIGS):
A member in good standing is equally entitled to the rights noted above with the addition of being eligible to run for union positions, to vote in union elections, vote on budgets, by-laws, and motions made at membership meetings.
To ensure all our members of CUPE Local 1883 are MIGS, there are three steps each member must take:
Members must fill out a membership form.
By completing the membership form, the member is agreeing to the oath which is printed on the form.
The names of those who completed the membership form who have not been previously read out and approved by the membership will be presented for approval at the subsequent Local 1883 General Membership Meeting (GMM).
- As a new CUPE 1883 member, the membership initiation fee ($1) will be deducted from your first paycheque automatically. If you have been a member since before 2018 and are not a MIGS, the $1 will be required to be paid in person.
Once all these steps have taken place, you will be a member in good standing. A membership card will be mailed to you within 4-6 weeks of approval at a GMM.
If there are any questions about this process please feel free to reach out to your steward or executive at CUPE Local 1883.
The Member in Good Standing Form was only introduced by CUPE National in 2019. Prior to that if you attended a union meeting (except strike or ratification vote) you should have been sworn in as a MIG at the beginning of the meeting. To ensure that we have a record of your MIGS status, along with updated contact information, we are encouraging ALL members to fill out the MIGS form and submit to the Local.
MIGS Form During COVID
CUPE National has advised that due to social distancing during the pandemic, forms can be filled out electronically. If you cannot insert an electronic signature please type your name in the Applicant Signature section. Once you email the filled out electronic form to the Local we will include a Witness Signature to complete the form. Please send filled out forms to email@example.com.